March 5, 2016
- 250 grams butter
- 120 grams sugar
- 400 grams flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg yolk, save the white if you choose to use as a wash for the cookies
- 2-3 tablespoons rum
1. Sift flour and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
2. Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Add the egg yolk, vanilla and lemon zest and mix well. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until combined into dough.
3. Remove from mixer and wrap in parchment or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours up to overnight.
4. Let the dough sit at room temperature. Flour your work surface and roll dough to about ¼ inch thick. Cut using your favorite cookie cutters. Place on cookie sheet and bake using either a silpat or parchment paper. Brush lightly with the egg white only if you want your cookies to have a sheen and sprinkle with sugar for more of a crisp sugar finish.
5. Bake at 175C for 6 ½ - 7 minutes using a convection oven. For a non-convection oven, bake up to 13 minutes but check for your desired coloring. Cookies should be lightly browned.
6. Cool on cookie rack.
7. Decorate! Explore different variations using sugar, powdered sugar, melted chocolate, jam or frosting. The options are endless! Keep refrigerated in an airtight container for maximum freshness.